We love travel
with your pets
Travel with your pet in our aircrafts and discover more destinations with your best friend
We understand that pets are an important part of the family and that’s why at Viva Aerobus we are a proudly "pet friendly" airline, meaning we have made it easier than ever for your travel with your pet on our domestic and international flights.
We have also partnered with Cuida Mi Mascota to offer you access to thousands of qualified pet-sitters all over Mexico who can help take care of your beloved pet if they are unable to travel with you. Click on the button below to find out all they can do for you.
+ 20 thousand reviews
from pet owners
+ 8 thousand pet sitter
150 thousand services
reserved with our pet sitters
If you want to travel with your pet, we offer you two options, limited to cats and dogs: “Cabin” or “Hold”. Please review this table carefully to understand if your pet is eligible to travel in the cabin, or in our specially designated section of our cargo hold.
|In the cabin|
|Maximum weight 10 kg
(including your pet carrier)
|The maximum size is 40 cm long, 30 cm wide and 20 cm tall|
|We only accept carriers that fit under the seat in front of you, for this reason, we recommend soft-sided carriers and for safety, use rigid carriers for cats.|
|Snub-nosed pets are allowed|
|Only fully weaned dogs or cats at least eight weeks old|
|In the hold|
|Maximum weight 32 kg
(including your pet carrier)
|The maximum size is 319 linear cm (length, width and height)|
|For comfort and safety of pets traveling in the baggage compartment, their carriers need to be rigid|
|Snub-nosed pets are not allowed|
|Your pet must be at least sixteen weeks old|
* Snub-nosed pets have frequent respiratory issues when they exposed to stress or high temperatures. Here, we mention some of the most popular breeds of brachiocephalic cats and dogs: Affenpinscher, American Staffordshire terrier, Boston Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Boxer, Bull Dog, Bull Mastiff, Bull Terrier, Cane Corso, Cavalier King Charles, Chow-Chow, Burdeos Dogue, English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Spaniel, Lhasa-apso, Maltes, Mastin (all breeds), Pekines, Pug, SharPei, Shit-Tzu and Spaniel Tibetano, or cats of the following breeds: Birmano, Exótico, Himalayo, and Persa.
You can add this service to your reservation on our website or in our selling points. We recommend you request it in advance because it's subject to availability.
Necessary documents to travel with your pet
For domestic travel:
You will need to present an original copy of your pet’s up-to-date vaccination records. This must include recent rabies vaccination and anti-parasite treatment.
For international travel:
In addition to the above, you must also present a Certificate of Health and Fitness to Fly (original and copy) issued by a licensed veterinarian no more than five days before travel.
For your comfort, we included in your reservation Viva Express, an exclusive row for a quick process at the check-in counters.
On the day of travel
- You must arrive at check-in at least 2 hours before your scheduled departure time for domestic flights or 3 hours for International flights.
- Please ensure that you have all necessary documentation on hand for inspection by the check-in agent.
- You will be asked to read and sign a responsibly waver which will be collected by the check-in agent.
- If your pet is traveling in the cargo hold, the check-in agent will place a seal on the door of the carrier to prevent it from inadvertently opening during transit, then take possession of your pet. If your pet is traveling in the cabin, the check-in agent will attach a “Cabin Approved” sticker to the carrier. You may then proceed with your pet to your designated departure gate.
Tips and restrictions
- The number of pets that Viva Aerobus permits on any one flight, is capped 3 in the cabin and 3 in the hold, a total of 6 pets per flight.
- The transportation of pets in the hold is not allowed in connecting flights.
- The carrier must also be lined with absorbent material, have adequate ventilation, and your pet must have enough space to stand up and turn around without impediment.
- You will not be permitted to open your pet carrier for any reason once onboard the aircraft.
- For the safety and wellbeing of your pet, we do not recommend using any form of sedative unless prescribed by a licensed veterinarian. If you believe your pet may become anxious during the flight consider introducing a familiar item to the carrier, e.g., a chew bone, a toy, or a garment of clothing.
- If your pet is not used to traveling in a carrier, we recommend introducing them to it leading up to your trip. Start by placing them inside the carrier for short periods, progressively increasing the time until they are comfortable with being inside for an extended period.
- The more time you give your pet to become accustomed to the carrier the less likely they are to become stressed on the day of travel.
- If your pet is traveling in the cabin, please pay special attention that your pet carrier does not exceed the maximum of 40 cm long, 30 cm wide and 20 cm high. The space under the seat is restricted; as such, we are not able to permit oversized carriers onboard.
- Your pet must be fully weaned, and at least 8 weeks old.
- Your pet must be in good health.
- Your pet must not exhibit signs of stress, anxiety, or aggression.
- For safety reasons, pet carriers are not permitted in emergency exit rows (row 1, 12 and 13).
- Pets are not permitted to use supplemental oxygen at any time.
- For more detailed information on traveling with your pet on Viva Aerobus, please check our Terms and Conditions.