Shortcut links for your convenience

Grupo Viva Aerobus increased its total operating revenue by 14% in the first quarter of 2017

Published Friday, June 9, 2017

Mexico City, April 28, 2017. - Grupo Viva Aerobus, holder of Viva Aerobus, Mexico's low-cost airline, reported an in-crease in its operating revenue of 14% compared to the same period in 2016, reaching 1,335 million pesos.

Viva Aerobus increased the number of passengers transported during the first quarter of 2017 by 38% compared to the same period in 2016, reaching 1.6 million users and a load factor of 86%, 4.5 percentage points above the first quarter of 2016.

In addition, in its financial report of the first quarter of 2017, Grupo Viva Aerobus shows the following:

  • Total operating revenue in the first quarter of 2016 increased 14% compared to the same period in 2016; reaching 1,335 million pesos. From this total, passenger rev-enues accounted for 55% with 734 million pesos and the remaining 45% corre-sponds to other revenues from additional services with 600 million pesos. This was driven by growth in capacity, load factor and rates, even though that the first quarter of 2017 did not have a high season like in 2016.
  • Available seat-kilometers reached 1,912 million; an increase of 34% compared to the first quarter of 2016.
  • Total operating costs at the end of the first quarter of 2016 were 1,439 million pe-sos; an increase of 45% over the same period of the previous year. This variation is directly related to the increase in the capacity operated, as well as the changes presented in macroeconomic factors such as the exchange rate and the fuel price, mainly.
  • At the end of the first quarter of 2017, EBITDA reached 257 million pesos, a de-crease of 48% when compared to the first quarter of 2016. The margin in 2017 was of 19.2%.
  • Net income at the end of this first quarter was a loss of 23 million pesos, while in the first quarter of 2016 there was a profit of 160 million. This difference mainly cor-responds to the increase in operating expenses derived from the growth in capacity operated together with the increase in the main macroeconomic variables of the in-dustry and the fact that Easter, a high season, was not part of this first quarter. The net profit margin during this year was negative by 1.7%.
  • Short-term financial debt decreased 29% between March 31, 2016 and March 31, 2017, from 568 million pesos to 402 million pesos. On the other hand, long-term fi-nancial debt increased 45% between March 31, 2016 and March 31, 2017, from 1,149 million pesos to 1,660 million pesos. This increase is mainly due to the fi-nancing strategy for the acquisition and modernization of the fleet.
  • At the end of this first quarter, Grupo Viva Aerobus continues with the newest fleet in Mexico and one of the world's newest fleets with 21 aircraft, 19 Airbus 320ceo and two Airbus 320neo. Grupo Viva Aerobus is advancing in its plan to expand and modernize the fleet, which aims to reach 52 aircraft by 2020.

"The start of 2017 has, one more time, highlighted the strength of Viva Aerobus' business model and its status as one of the most competitive companies in the Mexican airline in-dustry. We also continued to increase our participation in the domestic market, with a clear commitment to Mexico. In this first quarter we have already launched 5 new national routes, reaching a total of 60 routes to 27 different destinations", said Gian Carlo Nucci, CEO of Grupo Viva Aerobus.

About Grupo Viva Aerobus

It is the holding of several companies, among which is the airline Viva Aerobus.

About Viva Aerobus

Viva Aerobus is Mexico's low-cost airline. It started operations in 2006 and today operates the youngest Latin American fleet with 21 Airbus 320, including two A320neo on 69 routes and 31 differ-ent destinations. With a clear vision to give all people the opportunity to fly, Viva Aerobus has de-mocratized the airline industry with the lowest rates in México and the lowest costs in Latin America, making their flights the best value offer.